Top Ten Tips for Decorating your Home
from the Interior Designers at Sister Bay Trading Company
- Arranging furniture in a big or small room is all about the circulation of traffic and our client’s comfort. User-friendliness is even more important. Contemplate scale, proportion, and breathing space between furnishings and the architecture of your home.
- Continuous floor treatments make spaces look bigger. Mirrors, large windows and medium colors also help. Warm, darker colors make a room feel cozier. Textured fabrics on furnishings and dramatic window coverings make huge rooms feel homey.
This master bedroom was designed to speak to the masculine side as well as the feminine side with warm plaid tones accompanied with stripes and playful fabrics with honeybees splashed throughout.
- Spectacular windows framing the beauty of Door County’s outdoors can be left naked. They stand on their own. We suggest window treatments to soften and complete a bedroom. A hot, new trend for living areas are blinds that work from the bottom of the window and rise up allowing privacy and light. Our customers keep coming back for our world-class service.
- Lighting should be well designed at the beginning of the project. That’s why our clients get us involved before construction starts. We recommend a variety of lighting – table lamps, floor lamps, and overhead – that is adjustable to create different atmospheres in the same room – brightness, shadows and even darkness.
- We’ve designed Door County living rooms that are formal enough for an American Folklore Theatre or Peninsula Music Festival fundraiser, yet comfortable for entertaining during a Packer game. We get to know our customers to suggest something that reflects the owner. Furniture should be varied and interesting without being overwhelming. The days of the traditional living room – off-limits to everyone but guests – are over. Today’s living room is comfortable, accessible and flexible. Our clients always find a pattern they love from our selection of more than 1000 fabrics.
- Select luxurious textures for the bedroom. Something so pleasing you’ll want to spend Door County winter days lying on your bed. We suggest several different complimentary patterns and lots of pillows. Our custom bedspreads and window treatments have been featured in the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel.
- Today’s kitchens are open. It’s the most utilized room in the home so choose specific lighting, innovative materials, and organized storage. With our Viking appliances you’ll find yourself answering the question: Is that a Viking? Make a statement about your gourmet skills. And don’t forget, comfortable dining room chairs are essential.
- A home office is an important room in today’s homes. Gone are the days of Mom keeping the bills in a drawer in the kitchen. We’ve helped entrepreneurs in the peninsula with built-in desks, armoires to hide computer and electronic equipment, and bookshelves.
- Slate, granite, marble, tumbled stones, along with porcelain and glazed ceramics are being installed in beautiful homes throughout the county. Our high-end carpeting lines, including wools, sisals, and patterned custom designs in Fabrica, Karastan, Masland, and Mohawk will warm your floors and accent a color in your home.
- Hire professionals to oversee the entire home improvement or building project. We’d like to help you design an ambience you’ll love. Give us a call or stop in our store at 2477 HWY 42. If you want world-class service call the interior designers at Sister Bay Trading Company at 920-854-2554.